Housing Assistance Payments Website.
The Department of Housing, Local Government and Heritage is the Government Department responsible for housing and water, for physical and spatial planning, for local government, for weather forecasting and for built and natural heritage.
The Department is committed to ensuring access for all. This accessibility statement explains how the Department, as the Service Provider, will endeavour to meet the requirements as set out in the Web Content Accessibility Guidelines Version 2.1 at AA Level as defined by the Web Accessibility Initiative.
Our commitment and approach to maintaining an accessible website
The Department is committed to:
- maintaining an accessible website in accordance with the European Union (Accessibility of Websites and Mobile Applications of Public Sector Bodies) Regulations.
- ensuring that this website achieves “Level AA” conformance to the Web Content Accessibility Guidelines (WCAG) 2.1, to comply with the National Disability Authority’s Code of Practice on Accessibility of Public Services and Information Provided by Public Bodies. (The National Disability Authority’s Centre for Excellence in Universal Design has an introduction to policy and legislation relevant to Universal Design in Ireland.)
- ensuring that all new information on the website will achieve “Level AA” conformance to the Web Content
Accessibility Guidelines (WCAG) 2.1.
- including accessibility when we procure 3rd-party systems or upgrades to existing systems.
How we test for conformance with official accessibility guidelines
The Department uses a range of techniques to help providing access for all. They include:
|Automated Scanning||Automated scanning provides a quick (but not complete) overview of issues that persons may encounter|
|Guidance||Provision of guidance to content editors such as using Alternate Text|
|Manual Review||Regularly performing manual review of each site and adjusting the site to help improve accessibility|
This website’s conformance with official accessibility guidelines
The website currently has a partial conformance to the Web Content Accessibility Guidelines (WCAG) 2.1. Our most recent web accessibility audit for this website was on 5/10/2022.
Areas for improvement and time-lines
We are aware of some areas on the website where we could improve accessibility. We are currently working to achieve this.
|Section of website||Need for improvement||Time-line for improvement||Alternative access|
|Throughout||Some old links are not descriptive||As soon as new text becomes available||If you have problems using certain sections of this site, call us on +353 (1) 888 2000|
How to send feedback on this website’s accessibility
We welcome feedback on the accessibility of this website.
- Phone us on +353 (1) 888 2000.
- Write to us at:
Department of Housing, Local Government and Heritage, National Parks & Wildlife Service, Custom House, Dublin 1, D01 W6X0
Accessibility features of this website
A large number of techniques are used to enable the site become accessible for all. The process is ongoing as content changes and the structure of the site changes. Some of the accessible features on this site include (but not limited to) the following:
|Alt Text||All Images where appropriate have suitable Alt text to provide a descriptive element to the image portrayed|
|Heading Outline Hierarchy||Logical sense applied to headings where possible H1, H2, H3|
|Descriptive Links||Links and Buttons have descriptive elements or Aria labels where those elements are cannot be provided|
|Contrast||Reasonable minimums in difference with relation to contrast between foreground elements and background elements|
|Navigability||Logical structure applied to the website to ensure the site can be used without a mouse|
|ARIA Landmarks||A large variety of aria- landmarks applied to aid in accessibility|
This list is not exhaustive.