Housing Assistance Payment

Skip to content

Tenancy and property

The ‘landlord and tenant’ relationship is between you and the HAP tenant. The tenancy will be governed by the terms of the Residential Tenancies Act 2004 (as amended). This means that the HAP tenant is your tenant and is not a tenant of the local authority.

HAP properties, like other rental properties, must comply with rental accommodation standards. Your local authority can give you information about these standards, or, visit the Housing Section of the Department of Housing, Local Government and Heritage website www.housing.gov.ie

As part of a HAP tenant’s application, you, as landlord, must self-certify that the property meets the required standards. The local authority will inspect the property to make sure it meets the standards. They will arrange this within eight months of the first HAP payment made to you.

For more information, see the HAP Landlord Information Booklet or contact your local authority here.

You can find further information about your rights and responsibilities as a landlord on the RTB website www.rtb.ie