Housing Assistance Payment

Skip to content

Your landlord and tenancy

Your landlord is the person you make the rental agreement with for your accommodation and who the local authority pays the HAP payment to. The local authority is not your landlord.

As a HAP tenant, you must pay your rent contribution to your local authority or HAP payments to your landlord may be suspended and ultimately stopped.

Your tenancy will be covered under the terms of the Residential Tenancies Act 2004 (RTA) (as amended). This means that the tenancy agreement is, or will be, between you and your landlord. You can find further information about your rights and responsibilities as a tenant on the RTB website www.rtb.ie